Thursday, September 20, 2012

My name is V. Nicole and I like electricity.

I like electricity.  I'm ashamed to say so, but I like it.  The off grid thing is great, and I have adequate electricity to work on my computer during the day and a little bit of light at night, but for the most part, once the sun goes down I am in the "dim" at best.  I can't stand it anymore.

It is fascinating to me that my ability to "make do" in the country is related to my emotional capacity at a given time.

So the months away from home, and the absolutely horrible year this has been, has tapped all of my ability to cope emotionally.  A computer hiccough yesterday sent me into a crying tailspin that lasted hours.  So I've decided that I'm taking a break.

The fact is that eventhough we had planned to get rid of our city house, we have not been able to sell it in this market, so it's still there, my little blue collar paracute.

So I'm going there.  For awhile. A long while.

So I'm still a Minnesota girl, and I'm still a homesteader, but I need to explore some urban farming and take a break from the burden that the farm has become.  It will be there when I am ready to return.

I am still voluptuous, I am still reclaiming simplicity, but I'm going home for awhile. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your ability to "make do" is related to emotional capacity. That is how I have been feeling. The amount of produce to be processed at home, though I don't know that it is even enough to last the winter, is overwhelming. It does make me question whether to continue sometimes. I am appreciative that the plants will be dying back. I think that if I didn't have electricity, I would be pushed beyond the brink.

    ReplyDelete