Sunday, March 14, 2010

Getting Ready

In 2006 DH and I purchased 34 acres of dreamland with an off-grid set up and a house (I use that term loosely). After our first weekend there, we started planning how we could move there permanently. The previous owner left us with 4 years of "Mother Earth News" "Backwoods" and "Countryside". We spent that whole first winter planning our homestead.

The enthusiasm for the big move has ebbed and flowed over the years. Him flowing, me ebbing. You see I love "Mother Earth News", but I also LOVE "Instyle". I really like to cook things from scratch, sew, garden, and live close to the Earth. But I also really like Tiff Co, delivered Pizza Luce', entertaining my friends, and regular spa treatments.

My husband spoils me relentlessly. We make a low to average income, but because we have no children, we spend most of that money and all of our time on whatever we want. But feeling so tied to our jobs, mine especially is a less than ideal situation, is frustrating.

We have a small, old home in a transitional neighborhood in Minneapolis, MN my husband has a good job in corrections. Between us, we have 3 college degrees, but we cannot afford to have a baby. Daycare would be cost prohibitive, and really in the United States, shouldn't a family of three be able to be provided for by one decent income?

I read recently that the average income in the US is $35K, and the average family has 2 to 3 kids. Is it so wrong that my husband wants his wife to raise his children rather than someone making minimum wage wearing non-latex gloves? We purchased our home for $110K, I drive a 12 year old car, we have no debt, other than the house and school loans, but we can't live on $35K, can anyone?

So, long story short, we are making the big move. We are renting out our house and planning to go to the farm by June first. Many of the modern homesteading sites and blogs include good information on woodfire cooking, livestock, and homeschooling. Many of them also describe what kind of armory (yep gun cache) that you need to fight off the government...

WOW. This blog is intended to be an alternate. I want simplicity, I want to raise and eat real food, I want to live with the rhythms of Earth, I want to quit my job and have a baby.

I want Voluptuous Simplicity. I want to throw parties, have time and money to travel, avoid tapered leg jeans and anything with a sports team logo on it; for me the definition of wealth is having what you need when you need it and being able to enjoy it.

I may succeed, I may fail, but as DH says "I'm tired of paying for the dream, but not living it."

No comments:

Post a Comment