Friday, November 19, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Inside

"No, I mean it, I'm freezing, wake up and put more wood on the fire!"

This is every night at our little farm on the prairie... I think it's a 70/30 split. 70% of the problem is that once we get heat in the house, it is escaping, and 30% is that our woodstove may not be as efficient as it needs to be. Of course my husband disagrees and thinks it's all the woodstove, which can't be fixed until we can can get 3 other men over to move out the old and in with the new.

DH is emotionally "done" building the house. I don't blame him really, it's taken a lot of work and all of our savings, and every favor we ever had. He's been working every weekend and some vacation days for over a year now.

However, the house is not done, so that's a bit of a problem.

Everyday I consider throwing in the towel and moving back to the city, not because I don't want to be here, but because there is neither human resources nor financial ones to solve problems at the farm anymore. I have no idea what to do, so I am little help. We have spent all of our savings to get to this point, so hiring someone isn't an option either.

It's easy to get discouraged because so little progress has been made as far as livability goes, but I know intellectually that the entire house has been sided, the roof was finished, the stove and pipe went in and the exterior was painted this summer, so that's a good summer's worth of work.

I just want to be out there. I have new friends out there, as well as, many new colleagues that I want to get to know better. I want to stop living in two places, but while I am willing to live without running water for awhile longer, I can't be cold. I just can't do it.

We do have the option of adding another wood stove or a propane heater, but the former would mean that I have no office and the later scares me.

Better start knitting more sweaters I guess.

Simplicity update: The most selfish person I have ever met is one of the city house roommates and is moving out on Saturday....thank you Jesus.

Voluptuous update: I learned how to make Greek yogurt, my world will never be the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment